Annie has been really into Christmas this year. She wants to hear Christmas music and do the advent calendars. She's constantly asking if we can put up more Christmas lights outside (we haven't quite got around to that yet) and she has already "written" her letter to Santa. She's caught the bug, and it's refreshing to see it through a child's eyes. Here's a couple of my favorite Annie moments that are Christmas specific . . .
(First Story) She plays with the "little people" nativity set that I got on sale last year. She's very gentle with Jesus, and because she performed in the nativity play with her preschool she knows the story. She likes to play act with the little pieces - and sometimes Mary and Joseph reprimand the little Jesus with time-outs and spankings. While she likes playing with the nativity, she also likes playing with playdough. She has a renewed interest in making things out of colored clay. She can spend hours making "cookies" and bright pink mustaches. Last night, John came into the kitchen (the only place playdough is allowed) and asked her what she was doing. Her response? "I'm playing with playdough . . . and Jeeeeesus."
(Second Story) Annie wants a banjo for Christmas. Yes, you read that correctly. My four year old wants Santa to bring her a banjo. When she first told us this, I asked her if she knew what a banjo was and she promptly placed her hands in the "air guitar" position and said "der-der-der-der-der" just like you would imagine a banjo would sound. I then went on the internet and showed her a picture of a banjo and played her some banjo music. She got excited yet again and said that "for sure" she wants a banjo. I told my mother this and she said, "then you have to get her a banjo and some lessons!" Oh, sweet mother of mine. Even if I wanted to spend over $200 on a real banjo (yes, that's how much small ones cost), where would I find someone to teach my four-year-old child how to play? So she will be getting this as a viable alternative. We love our daughter, I promise.
I hope you are all celebrating this Christmas season!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love all your cute stories. And I'll have you know, Hayden started begging me for a violin at about that age. He didn't quit, and I finally gave in and ten years later, he's still going strong. So you never know! :)
Post a Comment