Made two batches of homemade laundry soap (see post below). Mostly used the expensive-cheap kind (with Fels Naptha soap) but, as promised, used the Ivory one for a load of towels and bathing suits. Everything came out soft and clean and smelling distinctly of clothes (aka no smell). I think I will continue to use it for Annie's clothes and/or pool towels.
Made my own refried beans. Not from canned beans, but from the hard, food-storage bean that is the pinto. Success and yum. I grated some garlic and onion into some oil and mushed the beans up in it. That was my dinner tonight. The bonus is that I smell terribly garlic-y. It's a sexy smell.
Found a used book store. I went in with a grocery bag full of books that I didn't think I would ever read again and came out with two new books and a $20 credit towards other new-ish books. Sweet.
Made my own corn dogs. For those of you at relief society last night, this will be redundant, but I bought this cool pan (but of course I didn't pay that much for it, I got it for $12 at Tuesday Morning) and made some cornbread and stuck a turkey dog in it. Voila! I love that I can control the stuff that goes in everything (except the turkey dog of course) and I love that I can have cheap corn dogs in the freezer if I ever have a corn dog emergency. Yes, corn dog emergencies are real.
Now, if only I could figure out a cheaper alternative to the dish washing pellets that I use (they are the only ones that don't seem to leave a residue) and maybe if I could start walking everywhere (not going to happen - the closest store is still five miles away) and if I could get a solar oven so that I could bake corndogs and beans out in the hot, hot sun . . .
. . . Maybe . . . oh, a girl can dream, can't she?
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sounds like we're on the same page lately. As far as driving goes, we've been biking. Maybe doesn't sound like too much fun in AZ right now, but maybe in the winter? We have bike paths on almost every major road here. It's great. Good luck with all your penny pinching!
have you tried adding vinegar to the dishwasher? we switched detergents and had major residue problems until i started adding vinegar. now everything is sparkly clean again.
You are such a pioneer woman!
I second Colleen's vinegar suggestion. I pour about 3 Tbsp in the spot remover liquid holder thingy every couple of washes. For some reason I don't need to do it for ever wash. I think vinegar is just that powerful.
And I'm going to refer you to my blog friend Nancy who has recently done several posts on things she makes from scratch, including dish washing detergent. http://notquite100thetruth.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment