Friday, July 2, 2010

Sometimes I'm a genius

Today we started a program in which Annie is not able to watch a half hour of television until she finishes a couple of pages in a 1st Grade workbook that we got at Sam's Club. The workbook has about 1000 pages in it, so this should last the rest of the summer - unless her babysitter thinks it's too much work to keep it up. Which I don't blame her. It's taken her 20 minutes of whining to do two pages so far. I think it might be worth it.

Which, by the way, Annie will be starting full-time babysitting next Tuesday - meaning I will be starting full-time student teaching next Tuesday. Can you say crazy busy? I still have three more weeks of classes to finish - but I'm hoping I can get a headstart on classes this weekend and be at least a weekend ahead. It may mean doing some homework on Sundays (gasp, eeek!) but I can hope that I can get the majority of my work done on Saturday. It's that or stay up until 1:00 in the morning to finish my work - and anyone who knows me knows how well I do at that hour. (to further this tangent - my roommates in college once told me I had a "Pumpkin Hour." They said my personality, my attitude, my everything, turned into a Pumpkin at a relatively early hour each night. Even they learned quickly to just send me to bed.)

On a totally unrelated topic - Annie lost her sunglasses at the Walmart. She took them off and put them next to her in the cart (yes, I put my child in the dangerous big section - if her head falls off, I promise not to sue). We got all the way out of the parking lot before she noticed and started balling. I told her calmly that I wasn't upset with her and that sometimes we just lose things and that we need to take better care of them. She was so worried that they would be put in the garbage can and that her lovely Mickey Mouse (on sale for $2 last year) sunglasses would be ruined. I asked her if she would like to go back to Walmart and look for them. She wailed a "yeeeessss," and I gave in. We went back to the front of the store where I left the cart and, of course, they weren't there. I asked the little greeter if she happened to have a pair of black Mickey sunglasses that were turned in. She did! And they were already in the garbage. Annie freaked a little bit - but then the kind lady took some hand sanitizer and disinfected the glasses and put them on my child's face. Annie cried out a sweet little thank you and we had a discussion about keeping track of our stuff.

Why am I telling you all of this? I don't really know. It was just the happenings of today. I had time to tell it - and you, obviously, had time to read it.

2 comments:

Kitty Smith said...

I enjoy reading your everyday stuff. Losing your glasses is bigtime for our little people! I'm glad she found them. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.