Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Aaarrugh!

For family night last night, we decided to introduce Annie to Monopoly. I really feel that I am a good sport most of the time, but playing Monopoly last night was almost too much.

It wasn't that I was the one who went bankrupt first, it was the fact that I could not pass "Go" to save my life because I went to jail every. single. time. I am pretty sure I went to jail 12 times in one game. So pretty much I went bankrupt because I couldn't collect a salary and I kept having to pay $50 to get out of jail. And then after I got out of jail I either landed on the "luxury tax" or the "income tax" spot. I barely had enough time on the board to land on John's hotel-ridden Park Place (before being sent back to jail and hoping that people would land on my only property - Ventor Ave.), and every time I landed on Chance or Community Chest I got the cards where I had to pay.

It was not a good game for me. But Annie loved being able to stay up until 9:30 to watch as her dad beat her good. It was also fun to watch her become a great Railroad manager (getting all four in the first couple rounds of the game) and laughing everytime someone landed on them and she asked for $200 (of course with a nice "please").

I guess there are good things to be learned from board games - I'm hoping that maybe I get a chance to learn them the next time we play. Right now,  there are a few other games I like better (Blokus, Apples to Apples) - but I should probably give Monopoly another chance. I don't think I deserve to be put in jail again!!

2 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

This story gave me a bit of a panic attack. I hate Monopoly - for the very reason that what you went through is what happens to me every single time I play. by the end of every game I'm not just bankrupt on the board, I'm bankrupt in my heart. Give me Boggle any day.

Patti said...

While in CA a couple of weeks ago, I played Monopoly with Samuel's girls. Well, I played with Nora, as Sara only wanted to be the banker. I hate Monopoly too, but sometimes we do things we hate for the sake of our loved ones. After Monopoly we played Clue- the Simpson version. That was a little more fun.