Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Summer Daze

Summer is here - and boy is it hot! It seems like we live in our pool. Either that or we go from our pool to someone elses pool. My hair is in a constant state of damp. If it wasn't for the chlorine, I would be growing mold.

I actually love summer, and I actually don't mind the blistering heat. We are blessed to be able to keep our house at a reasonable temperature throughout the day, and both our cars have A/C - so I can't really complain.

And popsicles . . . oh boy do I love popsicles! My mom and dad used to take us through the drive-thru dairy in Chino and get Big Sticks and Sidewalk Sundaes. The Sidewalk Sundaes were our favorites - chocolate coated vanilla ice cream with a streak of dark fudge on the inside. I didn't realize how much I adored the Big Sticks until I moved to the South and couldn't find them anywhere under any name. They are a pineapple/cherry popscicle that I really missed - until I found them at every grocery store in Arizona. The only problem is that they are not quite the same.

The Big Sticks of my youth were heavily flavored and rather slushie-like - I feel like I can suck all the juice out of the imitation Big Sticks and all I'd be left with is a ice-pop. But I'll take them rather than leave them. They still remind me of backyard swingsets, hot porches, burning skin and many happy afternoons. It's those kind of memories I want to pass onto Annie.

This is the reason I will only allow Annie to eat popscicles outside - even if it is 120 degrees. It's not because I can't stand the drips!

No comments: