Friday, July 25, 2008

I'm telling on him

We were at the movies yesterday. Annie and I signed up for the summer movie "camp" where we paid $7 for 10 kiddie movies. We meet up with friends and I usually get a nap. I figure it's worth it. When John is on earlies, like he is this week, he can go with us. So we all set out to see Nancy Drew. This is a popular theater, lots of kids everywhere. We sat in the middle of the row, about half-way up. We asked if anyone was saving seats (which they aren't supposed to do, but everyone does) - and nobody was- but we obviously "split-up" a group. A little group on our left and a bigger group on our right. Each group had a parental figure and several kids about Annie's age and size.

Annie was sitting on my left and was getting rather fidgety. She was kicking the chair of the person in front of her (which I didn't know until the lady told me!) and was getting up and down out of her chair.

So when the little girl from the group on our left wanted to go to the group on our right, I let her through thinking that John would do the same. What I didn't think he would do, was pick her up and put her on his lap telling her "Come here, little girl." He totally thought she was Annie and I saw what was happening and whisper-shouted, "That's not Annie!"

He recoiled, apologized to the stunned little girl, sent her on her way and was very embarrassed. I didn't know if I needed to apologize to the mother or not, so I didn't. I know, I'm a coward. I was laughing too hard to really make a sincere apology anyways.

I just think it goes to show how good John is. He is an active parent. When he sees Annie in need of a hug, he hugs her. When he sees that she's fidgety, he puts her on his lap. He doesn't need to be told or reminded. He's an amazing father.

I just hope that little girl isn't forever scared of big men who say "Come here little girl." At least not my big man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.