Thursday, December 11, 2008

And lo . . . a collection is born.


I've been wanting something to decorate the tops of my cabinets. Something that would fit (there's not much space), something that would be pretty and something that would be practical. At first I thought of trifle bowls, but if you know anything about trifle bowls you know that once you own one you own them all. There's not much variation in any of them. Some are a little bigger, some are made out of thinner glass or crystal, but pretty much they are trifle bowls.

I helped out at the young women's "princess" party on Tuesday and part of what I was in charge of was procuring a couple of punch bowls that the pink punch would reside. Since I have been wanting a punch bowl (I sold mine at our yard sale before we left South Carolina, and I've been kicking myself ever since) I went to the trift stores to see what they had. I immediately found the one on the right, which happens to be the exact one I left behind in SC. It's a cheapy one, but I love the shape. I then went on a hunt to see if there was anything else and I found the one on the left. It was so pretty that I had to get them both. I didn't spend much on either one, so I didn't feel bad about either purchase, but I was worried about storing them.

The a-ha moment only happened once I had them on my counter for a few days. Now I need a few more. I think six more will do it, maybe seven. It will be my project for this next year.

What do you think?

5 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

Cute idea! After my grandma died and we were moving my grandpa out of the home we found 10 punch bowl sets, with dainty cups and everything. I don't know what happened to any of them and it's kind if a heartbreaker for me.

Cathy said...

Punch bowls can hold salad, ice, napkins - anything - they are really great

Shawn said...

I have a punch bowl on top of my cabinets too! I didn't know where else to put it, so i just put some nice fake flowers in it and I just pull it down whenever I need to use it! How nice that you'll have a variety to choose from!

Unknown said...

you could actually alternate punch bowls AND trifel bowels i've decided I need more than one trifel bowl recently and now i'm no the hunt for something not so generic..
good idea sis!

colleeeen said...

mmmwahahaha! i shall now hunt for ridiculous punchbowls for you.