Friday, July 17, 2009

Go Underdogs!

My name is Stephanie and I love sports underdog movies.

"Rudy" makes me cry every time he is carried off the field. "Radio" means more to me than he ever did to that football team in South Carolina. I love the Georgia Peaches in "A League of Their Own" and just mention the "Hoosiers" and I think about the massive implications of hope.

These movies change me in more ways than any other genre of movies change me. I love a good movie, but a good sports underdog movie will make me want to watch all the extras on the DVD and search the internet for more information about who the characters might or might not have been based on.

It's funny to me that I relate so much to these kinds of movies. I am not what you would consider a "fan." I went to my share of high school and collegiate football and basketball games, cheered heartily and had a good time, but I never once put blue make-up on my face or fell off my bleacher seat because I was overcome with emotion. I have yelled so loud I lost my voice (I know how to cheer on the team!) but I do not base my weekly/monthly schedule on any type of game. As of this moment, I would only go to a live game if we were going with a group of people (that's just so you know that I would say "yes" if you invited us to a game).

So why do I HAVE to watch every movie that has a sports related theme? It's compelling and a little embarrassing. I've given up on figuring out why - it's part of who I am and what I do. I've learned to live with it.

I just watched "Facing the Giants," and I thought it was hokey and trite, and I still loved it. I now have on my Netflix list "Something for Joey" and "Breaking Away" I think I might have to sit down with Annie and watch "Bad News Bears," the one that was made in the 70s!

If nothing, I need to pass on my legacy of corny-ness.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

The Bad News Bears has horrible launguage - it's bound to be appealing to little bit. Don't let her watch it without a big talk about "bad words".

Love MOM