Sunday, July 19, 2009

Saying goodbye

We've left some things behind this week . . .

Goodbye and good riddance to Annie's thumb sucking! She was four months old when she started sucking her thumb and I knew it wasn't just a passing fancy. She loved her thumb(s) and I finally gave in when I realized it put her to sleep. I thought that I would rather have a sleeping baby that sucked her thumb than a baby who didn't have a built-in soothing mechanism. I think I made the right decision, but when she turned 4, it started getting annoying. When she turned 5 it got gross. We've tried the yucky nail polish before, but for whatever reason it didn't work before now. With the help of the "gross" nail polish she's been thumb-free for a few days. We're still putting the yucky stuff on her nails before bedtime, just in case.

Goodbye to Dukes! My mother brought me six jars of Duke's mayonaise when she came up in January. We just used the last luscious dollop today on a fantastic tunafish sandwich. Thanks Mom! It's been well used and loved. John says we'll have to set up a system with our southern people so we can always have Duke's in the fridge. Until then, I will be dreaming of the day that Dukes will again enter into our lives.

Goodbye to our baby stuff! We had a garage sale this last week and we decided to sell the strollers, swing, bouncy-seat, high chair and the massive amount of clothing we have accumulated. It was taking up WAY too much space and causing a tremendous amount of stress just looking at it. We will always have the crib that John made (I should post pictures, it's gorgeous!) and I saved a few small bags of blankets and clothing that my mother and other friends made, but everything else was either sold or given away. No - we're not yet giving up on a baby. We just figure we'll start over if I get pregnant. After five years, a new baby deserves some new stuff.

Cest La Vie! Sayonara! Adios! Na na na na, na na na na, Hey, hey, hey . . . Goodbye.

1 comment:

colleeeen said...

I LOVE the feeling of getting rid of stuff I've been clinging to. No more garage sales for me, but filling up the back end of the car with bags of stuff to donate... ah, what a feeling.