Sunday, April 11, 2010

Appropriate SUNday activities

I received a Global Sun Oven as a Christmas present from John last year. Since we live in the Valley of the Sun and we've been more proactive about food storage and preparation, I've wanted one for a while. I fell in love with this company when I learned of it's continuing effort to train people to use sun ovens in poverty-stricken areas around the world. They donate huge sun ovens to communities in places like Haiti where a family can spend up to 80% of a paycheck on cooking fuel. It's changed people's thinking - and while that is reason enough to want one of these ovens - it's also just a really fun toy!



I got my oven before Christmas and it finally came out of the box a month or so ago. We went to a class to learn how to direct the oven at the sun and learn what things we could do with it (not difficult - everything we learned was in the instruction manual). Today, we actually took the film off the reflectors and used it to make - what else?? - Chocolate chip cookies!



While I wouldn't call our first experience with our Sun oven an amazing success, it wasn't a complete failure either. We learned things like - the inside of the oven is HOT - and so is the glass. We really need to get some hot pads to just put the cookies in the oven (which is a different way of thinking than just opening the oven door and putting cookies in the oven).

Our oven, at one point, got up to 350 degrees - but with the cookies in the oven it wouldn't ever get above 300. It took quite a bit longer for the cookies to bake in the sun oven than in our conventional oven, but the end result was just as yummy.




John says we should have started with something like rice. I say we just need a little more practice and I think we can get pretty good at this thing!

Yea for SUNday activities!

P.S. - yes, my child comes home from church and we make her put on her pajamas. I don't like to do any extra laundry I don't have to!

No comments: