Another semester in the can. Another accomplishment I can check off my mental checklist of life. Another semester of knowing I can "do hard things." Only three more semesters to go . . .
This summer is going to be hard. I will start classes again in June (not the hard part) and my pre-k student teaching will start in July. There will be a few week overlap of classes and student teaching which I will dub "Three weeks of torture" or some such moniker. I keep telling myself that it's only one summer. I keep telling myself I can do it.
It's not just the classes and the student teaching - it's Annie. I've already decided that she's not doing swimming lessons or going to summer movies this year - mostly because I didn't want more things to worry about. I feel like a bad mom for taking things away from her - but I am trying to be a better mother by not feeling so rushed and exhausted. I think I made the right choices. We're still going to have a fun summer full of swimming pools and playgroups - it's just not going to be so structured. This is also the first time that I will have to put her in some kind of child care situation - guilt, guilt, guilt. It's only for five weeks - and I'm doing this so that I will eventually have all my summers off - but I'm still feeling the pains of scheduling and demand that I've never felt before. I seriously don't know how moms do this with more than one kid.
I know it will eventually be for the best - but this summer will still be hard. I am looking forward to the next few weeks where the only obligation I have is to do my visiting teaching and volunteer in Annie's classroom.
(BIG BOLD VOICE) Bring on the summer! (little wimpy voice) or at least let me survive until September.
Saturday, May 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh stephanie! That is so hard! You can do it!!!! If it makes you feel any better know that I NEVER have a structured summer for my kids. I LOVE being able to do whatever last minute! We have WAY more fun that way!!! And the boys are way more excited when we POP a suprise at them! It will be tough but if I can make it through the next 15 months husbandless I know you can make it through the summer! And look at the reward! Soooo HUGE!!!!
I feel for ya.. first time EVER KayLea was in daycare (before school program sounds SO much better right?!) but she survived and Annie will too... and your right the reward of same vacation schedules and days off and hours (for the most part, you may need some before or after care with all your necessary duties, staff mtg's etc. etc.) are AWESOME.. I'm pretty certain I could have found a better paying job but the hours and schedule trumped all...
good luck and you know me we hardly structure anything and we always have fun!
love ya!
If anyone can do it, YOU CAN! You have a great attitude. That's how I get through hard stuff is knowing that it's only temporary, and it will make our lives better in the future! Have fun!
You can do it! Although I think if you're going to schedule anything it should be regular ice cream cone outtings.
You're a bad mom, blah blah blah, you should be with your kid 24/7, blah blah blah, why don't you homeschool, blah blah blah, you should be a completely self-sacrificing superwoman, blah blah blah.
There. Now attack that nonsense I just typed. Recognize it as the enemy, gird your loins against it, and GO FORTH AND DO.
Psh, I still don't really know how to swim, and I went to daycare for the better part of my grade-school life, and I turned out fine.
Post a Comment