My first experience with real roommates was at Rick's College in a tiny little basement apartment. I shared this apartment (and the one tiny bathroom) with five other girls, three of whom were from Idaho. The first met and married the man of her dreams within the first semester we were together and the other two were my companions throughout the rest of my junior college experience. Throughout the years, I've gone to church with other women from Idaho. I think I know what I'm talking about when I tell you that Idaho girls are made of seriously tough stuff!
I just reconnected with Jillea - my shy but silly room-roommate for two years, and Jenny - my boy-crazy, red-headed, cowboy-dancing roommate. I seriously love facebook for reuniting me with these girls who are now women.
I got to see Jenny's gorgeous family with six stair-stepped children. I got to read how blessed she felt when she turned 35. I remember her getting her mission call - and I can't even remember where it was now (somewhere foreign, I think) and then her turning it down to marry her sweetheart. I also remember her infectious laugh. She's as stalwart as they come.
Then there's Jillea (pronounced Jill-EEE-a lest you be mistaking it for some other pronunciation). She went on a mission to Philadelphia, came back and married a man, had a beautiful daughter with him and then her husband tragically died about three years ago. She's now re-married to a widower and has her daughter, two beautiful step-sons and a new son that is arriving in August. Wow - amazing!
Both of these women taught me much about life and living while I was living with them - and they are both still teaching me so much. I'm so grateful to know women who are beautiful, kind and have the strength of warriors!!
I also have to give a shout-out to Annette - the bishop's wife in South Carolina who hailed from Idaho. She raised all those beautiful boys to love their mama. She is funny, smart, beautiful and so amazingly thoughtful.
Her husband was known to say "You don't mess with those Idaho farm girls."
Amen, brother.
Sunday, July 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Post a Comment