We've been having a hard time finding a name for this little baby. We're not arguing about it, we just don't think we've found something that both of us love. If my memory serves me correctly, we came up with Annie's name in an afternoon. This one is just a lot harder to figure out for some reason.
So, do I want suggestions? No, not really. Naming a child is such a huge responsibility and I don't think anyone but the parents of the child should have any part in it. Everyone else's responsibility is to say "Wow, what a great name," even if you don't like the name. Even if someone who has the baby's name was mean to you when you were in high school. Even if the name causes you to convulse with aggravation every time you hear it. Parents have a hard enough time as it is, it's no wonder that some people don't like sharing the names until the baby is actually born. It's hard to be judgmental of a name when you're holding a cute little squirmer who smells like heaven.
I'm probably being emotional and sensitive about this, because pregnancy means I'm more emotional and sensitive than usual. I promise to post the name when we have it - and I promise that it will be name that we both love. At that point, anyone who says anything bad about the name is just plain mean.
What do you think about my naming policy? How realistic is it to keep opinions at bay? Am I being a little too sensitive?
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am totally with you on this one. I hated it when people suggested names, and I hated it even more when I could tell that people hated the name that we ultimately chose. But it's nobody's business but yours. And I thought it was harder to pick names as each child was born. I felt like it had to "match" the other names without being too matchy. If you know what I mean. Good luck! Can't wait to hear the name!
Only you and John get to name her - but Annie will have opinions and I've found it's harder to name the baby the more sibs she has. You are sensitive, you're the gestating mom. You get to be. Personally, "Butternut" is a winner :) I'll never forget how horrified I was when we announce your name and your Grandpa Jack said, "Oh, Fanny". My reaction must have been like a karate chop to the kisses because NO ONE EVER tried to call you Fanny ever again.
Love, MOM
I only had one stipulation with our boys. They had to have very masculine names. No gender ambiguous names (you know, like Jody).
Naming Will was easy. Michelle knew that I as pretty partial to the name William, and she liked it too, so no problem there. Ethan, on the other hand, took us quite a while. I think we only finally settled on it about a month before he was born. I think we also had a couple of backup names, just in case he didn't look much like an Ethan.
We had a similar situation as Mom (@Cathy). When Michelle's grandma called Will, "Willy" I said to her, in the most solemn voice I could muster, "His name is William. You may call him Will, for short. Not Willy, Billy or Bill." It was never a problem after that.
Post a Comment