Friday, December 2, 2011

The difference seven years makes

There are a lot of things that are different this time around. There are so many differences in the STUFF that we have. I thought I would highlight some of the things that we have this time around that have made this mothering thing a little easier. Seriously -  what will they think of next?

The car seat cover.

This is a magical device. It is simply a piece of fabric that is draped over the car seat, but it makes it so that people don't even ask you about your baby. For some reason, a baby that is not seen is a baby that does not matter (and for the first few weeks, you don't need random, sick,  strangers poking at your baby). We ran into a Walmart when Zoe was just two weeks old and had her in this wonderful, covered thing and I was amazed that all the little old ladies didn't flock to my cart (I've had some experiences with Annie that would curl your toenails). They kept to themselves. I was so happy. There may be a time when I will want to show Zoe off to random strangers, but for right now, I like that I can put this cover on and not worry so much about germs while I am out.

Here you see baby . . .


Here you don't . . .


Genius!

These great blankets.

I had a friend recommend these blankets to me and I have to say, I was skeptical. I registered for these rather expensive Aden and Anias swaddling blankets at Target - thinking that I would use them if someone got them for me. Thank you Aunt Bonny for buying a gift that I literally use every day. These are just big, cotton muslin blankets - but they seem to get softer every time I was them and they are big enough and light enough that I don't feel like Zoe is being strangled or suffocated. I can see myself using these blankets well into the summer because they are so light, but I can use them in the cold because they are so comfy. A very, very nice gift idea if anyone needs something a new mom will use a ton!

Here's a picture of Zoe as a baby burrito in one of these blankets.


And this is her after her nap when she is the squidgie-ist. The first one is her all bundled, but then her little arms and legs make an appearance. So cute!




Petunia Picklebottom rocks!

I didn't care much what I carried as a diaper bag with Annie. I used the ones that they gave away at the hospital and one that I got at my shower. They were puffy and looked like diaper bags. I went to a great store, Last Chance, way back in June and found a Petunia Picklebottom satchel (last season of course) for $30! I grabbed it, knowing that it was cuter than anything I could get at Walmart - and I would be so much happier with it. I googled how much PPB satchels go for, I knew I had made a good deal. Just this last week, I found another PPB diaper bag that looked like it was never used at the Goodwill. I paid $10 for that one. I feel pretty good about each purchase and I like having cute diaper bags that will take me through this little girl's first year or so.

Here's just a cute picture of Zoe taking a bath in the bathroom sink.

She's so tiny that even the little baby bath seemed a little big for her. She doesn't like baths all that much. She's tolerating them better now - but she still doesn't like to be undressed or wet. 

There are more little things that are different this time around - but mostly I think it is because Zoe is just such a different little person than Annie was. Her personality is a little spunkier and she's just all around different. I'm different as a mother, too. I'm a little more confident, a little less worried and I'm having a bit more fun. The late night feedings are wearing me down, but I'm hopeful that Zoe will become a good sleeper at night eventually. She has given me a glimmer of potential in that department already.

I'll close with a few more pictures . . .


No comments: