Friday, February 8, 2008

the big switch

In about March of last year, we made the big switch from the sugary, high fructose corn syrup laden sodas to chemically ambiguous sugar-free sodas. John can have anything so he prefers Diet Dr. Pepper, Coke Zero, Cherry Coke Zero and Diet Red Mountain Dew. I'm a little more picky. I get headaches from aspartame (so does half my family) and I don't like drinking caffeine unless I'm trying to stay up late, so my options are a little more limited.

I have found two sodas that I adore that meet all my criteria. Jones Soda makes a Splenda-fied Green Apple soda that is truly divine, and Hansen's makes a sugar-free root beer that is so good I find myself dreaming about it. In a pinch, I like the Diet Rite line, but since I have found these other two, I've become a snob.

There are only two problems. I can't always find them on the shelves - and since they are so popular, they are always more expensive. I pay up to $5 for a 12 pack for each of them. When I find them on sale, I go crazy.

It really is O.K. That just means that I limit my consumption to one a day or less. A 12 pack can end up lasting me a couplea weeks.

Doesn't everyone need a vice?

2 comments:

colleeeen said...

vice away, baby. we've switched to diet too - i honestly think it's a rite of passage into adulthood. ;)

Shawn said...

I love carbonation! My neighbors think it's the caffeine, but I know it's just the yummy bubbles that I crave. I would stock up on soda if I could control my drinking. A 12 pack would probably last me a few days!