Tuesday, February 26, 2008




I have joined a group called Daring Bakers. Once a month, they secretly convene on a secret blog and tell us a secret baking challenge that we must do, document, and post on our blogs. I'm a sucker for secrets - and I thought it would be fun to do something once a month that takes me out of my comfort zone.

This is the day to post on my blog my experience with my first challenge - French Bread! Specifically, Julia Child's french bread. It took forever (about 8 hours total), but it was worth it in the end.

The recipe itself is rather easy - water, yeast, flour, salt - but the process was a little arduous. Thank goodness for my Kitchen Aid and it's strong kneading ability. I think I would have given up if it weren't for that.

It was very flavorful - but my favorite part was the actual baking. I put it on my pampered chef stones and sprayed it with water every three minutes or so for the first 15 minutes of cooking.

The results: gorgeous chewy insides, dense and crispity outsides.

Will I do it again? Maybe if I need a big favor from John - he was pretty impressed with it.


I liked this picture - it gives proper homage to my Kitchen Aid.












Here's where the bulk of the "work" came in. It took three hours for the first rise and a good 2.5 hours for the second.














It was all worth it in the end though. . . It was the day before Valentine's Day - I thought Heart shaped bread would speak for itself.












These next two pictures are because my mother would kill me if I put up pictures of bread and none of her amazing grandchild.


13 comments:

Mary said...

Your daughter is very cute and your bread looks lovely! Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

L Vanel said...

What a nice baguette and I am such a sucker for heart shaped breads! The loaves themselves look like they were a real success!

~Amber~ said...

Your bread looks wonderful and what a cute little grandchild you've got yourself there. Welcome to the DB'ers.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Congratulations on completing your first DB challenge! You did a great job on your French bread and the heart shape is very sweet!

Anonymous said...

nice job!

breadchick said...

Your bread looks nice, especially the heart shaped one.

Thanks for baking with Sara and I

Lunch Buckets said...

Nice bread - cute kid! Congratulations on both :)

Unknown said...

Heart shaped, cute. Let me join the others in welcoming you to the Daring Bakers!

Sara said...

the heart shaped bread is very cute!

Meryl said...

Looks like you had a good helper! Lovely bread!

Jaime said...

cute! love the heart shaped loaf! :)

Shawn said...

So is this Daring Bakers something you came across while stalking other blogs? Sounds like fun! I never knew making french bread could be so intense! I guess I take the WalMart's $1.50 french bread for granted! You go girl!

Angel said...

Your little girl is sooo adorable!! and your bread looks awesome. Definitely an awesome treat.