Annie's has allergies and because of those allergies, she pukes. Her doctor explained it to me that her drippings don't drain out, they stay inside her. So when a large amount of drip enters her stomach, her little stomach rebels. This usually happens in the middle of the night - starting right around 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. and continuing until there is nothing left in her stomach. This morning it took until about 7:30 a.m.
Claritin helps a lot, but I guess it doesn't help everything. As a faithful mother, I get up every time she hollers "Mommy," go into her bedroom, and let her puke on me. This begins the process. Then, if I am at all awake, I run to the linen closet and grab a towel. I try to get her to the bathroom, but she still doesn't get the whole "spew into this" concept and it is sometimes easier to just get a towel and let her do her business in the comfort of her room.
My question is - is there a better way? I am truly asking anybody out there for puking advice. I don't know if there is another way to do it. Towels seem to be ever so cleanable - but am I missing something?
I seem to remember my own mother bringing in a LARGE stainless steel bowl when we weren't feeling well. I never remember actually puking into the bowl, but someone must have because whenever I suggested stomach ailment, it was always brought out and set (coldly) in my bed along with an old towel.
Now that I read that last sentence, I realize that this just prolonged her stay in bed by a few minutes. We still wanted our Mommy to be with us as we puked. If nothing else, she could hold our hair and get our shaky selves a cup of water to rinse with.
So even if I get really good advice the physical aspects of a puking child, I suppose I am destined to get up multiple times a night when she upchucks. I guess that's what being a Mommy is really about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
My personal choice is a Target bag. I have never been able to yammy in the toilet (it grosses me out), so I just grab a plastic bag, then throw it away afterwards. No clean up necessary.
bucket or bowl - designate one just as her "barf bowl" and keep it in her bedroom. keep a stack of clean towels at hand as well, right in her bedroom.
have you thought about altering her eating schedule, to minimize what's in her tummy when she goes to bed?
We eat at about 5:00 - and she doesn't go to bed until 7:00. I don't know if we could eat much earlier.
The doctor says it has nothing to do with what she eats. It has everything to do with allergens outside.
What I should do is keep her inside all day, every day, until her allergen is no longer floating in the air (when is precisely when it starts getting too hot to play on playgrounds). But I can't do that to a 3-year-old.
The night she puked was after the day she spent 3 hours at a beautiful park for preschool - they went on a nature walk where they smelled lots of things and literally swam in the dusty sand.
We eat at about 5:00 - and she doesn't go to bed until 7:00. I don't know if we could eat much earlier.
The doctor says it has nothing to do with what she eats. It has everything to do with allergens outside.
What I should do is keep her inside all day, every day, until her allergen is no longer floating in the air (when is precisely when it starts getting too hot to play on playgrounds). But I can't do that to a 3-year-old.
The night she puked was after the day she spent 3 hours at a beautiful park for preschool - they went on a nature walk where they smelled lots of things and literally swam in the dusty sand.
no no, i just meant if she puked until her tummy is empty, then maybe having less in her tummy would minimize the puking. but if you're eating at 5 then i don't see how you could go much longer without feeding her. we're eating all night around here!
i havn't been able to mastered getting the kids to puke in anything but a towel (not even a bucket or bowl) so we just put a couple of towels around the "zone" where the puke will most likely land sometimes we are right on sometimes i get out the carpet cleaner... it's never fun
Post a Comment