
I've talked about my awsome vegetable/fruit co-op before. I get a huge basket every couple of weeks and usually they are amazing - tons of really fresh, beautiful fruits and vegetables, some normal - some a little crazy. But never have they been the dreaded cabbage!
I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I've tried bok choy, napa and even the brussels sprout, and I just can't get the hang of cooking it so that it doesn't stink up my house and cause me to vomit. We had a good friend in South Carolina that gave us the biggest cabbage I have ever seen - straight from his garden. I made Annie hold it, took pictures with her and the beast, and threw the thing away.
So what do you think they gave us in honor of St. Patricks day? Two huge, heavy, green cabbages. So I got out the cookbooks and hoped that there were at least a couple of recipes that I could get through. I don't know if it's the texture, or the flavor, or the stinkiness or the cabbage-i-ness - but I'm trying to use up all of my basket so I can get the best value from this co-op. And I've been reading all the good things that cabbage can do for you - so I thought I would give it another try
I found one that is called "Cabbage Joe" - it's basically a Sloppy Joe made in the crock pot with ground turkey and a pound or so of shredded cabbage. I have it in the crock pot right now and all I smell is the lovely smokiness of the homemade bbq sauce I put in it. I'll have to let you know how dinner turns out.
I also have a recipe that is a "cabbage casserole" - but there ain't nothin' healthy about this recipe. It calls for mayonaise and butter and it's covered with melted cheese and corn flakes and baked for an hour. I may hold off, just for the sake of my heart.
I might also make some egg rolls, but that won't take up much of the poundage.
Does anyone have any really good cabbage recipes? I'd love to hear how you would use up two heads of beautiful cabbage.
1 comment:
All I know about cabbage is colslaw, and fish tacos, that wont use much of it though. I just remember when the whole "Cabbage Diet" was so popular, my dad did it and got food poisening, then he got pnemonia... weird...
Post a Comment