I have had some real successes in my life. I can make a beautiful cake. I can recover and refinish furniture. I can shoot a gun and not embarrass myself. I'm not being vain or prideful when I say that I usually can do almost anything I put my mind to - especially if there is a book or a class involved.
So when I went to the jewelery shop to find out how much it would cost to have my wedding rings resized (over $100!!) I figured there was a better way. I went home and googled and you-tubed and figured "it can't be that difficult - it's not like it's rocket science!"
Over the next week I went on e-bay and purchased a ring mandrel, a jewelers saw, some gold solder and flux. I spent about $50, but I figured it would save me money. I even went to the thrift store and found some practice pieces so I wouldn't have to practice on my wedding bands.
I used my little butane torch that I use to make creme brulee, I was assured on a couple of websites that this would put out enough heat. The first two solders worked perfectly - flowing and doing all the things it is meant to do - so I went on to my wedding band. I sawed it and prepared it for solder. Again, the first couple of solders flowed and behaved beautifully. When I tried it again, though, all the solder did was form a beautiful little ball that didn't stick to anything. Arrgh. I cleaned it up and tried it again - and again the ball kept showing it's ugly little head. I kept trying and now my ring is heat scaled and not "one eternal round."
I think I need a higher btu torch (real jewelers use oxygyn and acetylene in their torches - but those are really spendy) - but if that doesn't work, I would pretty much be spending as much on tools as I would on getting my rings sized properly by someone who knows what they are doing! I don't think I actually ruined my band (which we bought after the wedding) - and I never touched the actual ring that was at the wedding (a small band with 9 diamonds). I'll end up getting the little ring sized up and I'll probably end up purchasing another cheap band. Argh. What an ordeal.
Throughout this process I learned a couple of things.
1. Hormones make me think I can do impossible things.
2. My husband must be a saint. He never once voiced the "I told you so" I know was on his brain.
3. Sometimes I just have to leave it to professionals and not think I can do everything.
4. Target sells beautiful sterling silver/cubic zirconia wedding bands that I wouldn't be embarrassed at all to wear. In fact, while I am saving to purchase the band and re-sizing, I might just spend the $25 on a beautiful wedding set.
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are so brave! I would have just paid the $100.00! But you are very intuitive to try and do that on your own, you deserve praise for that!
I never said "I told you so" because I was confident you would be able to do it.
Post a Comment