Saturday, June 7, 2008

I've been trying

Last week, I had enough. I was sick of Annie pestering me about wanting to watch cartoons for the billionth time, or about getting a new toy or book. It was really about having any kind of privilege while the house was covered in Polly Pocket shoes and plastic fruit while Annie was still in Pajamas.

I figured there had to be a better way. And there is!

I went online and found a free chore chart and loaded it up with things that I wanted her to get done every day (brush teeth, say prayers, make bed, get dressed before 7:00 a.m., have her hair done, pick up toys). Then I loaded some extras that she could do after all of her daily stuff was done (dust, vaccuum, clean toy closet, help with laundry), and I also put some fun things that she could do if mommy was in the mood (read a book, practice letters and numbers, write her name). Each item carries with it a single point, and watching an episode of a cartoon costs 10 points. She can save up her points and buy a book or a small toy.

The strides in her behavior have been great. She gets dressed quickly now - and doesn't complain about me doing her hair. She asks me for things to do on the list instead of asking to watch a cartoon. I think my house is cleaner, if only because she can't watch cartoons in a dirty house - and she's motivated to clean up after herself.

It's been working. I'm just hoping I can keep it up.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

My sister is a GENIUS. Seriously. I love this! Even better that she's not being rewarded directly with money--but with points. Did you just make this up out of the blue? I hope my mommy brain can remember to implement something like this when the time comes.

colleeeen said...

urgh, i need to try something like this for Paul. and a potty-chart for Eli. oh, when did my life get so small?

Stephanie said...

I didn't come up with it. It's a conglomeration of a bunch of ideas that I love. The one I love the most is that Annie has certain chores because she is a part of our family - after those chores, she can get extra rewards.

I have realized that my life as a stay at home mother is rather small. I think that is why so many women don't think they can handle being home all the time, they haven't realized how to adjust to living in a small world.