Thursday, January 29, 2009

Answers - finally

I've been praying for an answer to my infection problem and boy did I get one. It turns out that my funky uterus is infected and big. It's pushing on everything, my bladder, my rectum, my good uterus. That's why I've been so uncomfortable (not able to pee or poop properly will do that to you) and why the tests have come back like it is a urinary tract infection.

The craziness needs to be removed. The only problem with removing craziness is that it is more than likely attached to things that are not so crazy. After a meeting with my surgeon, he has assured me that if it is easy to take out the craziness, he will. Otherwise, I will have a radical hysterectomy. They will make the decision once they are inside me and have assessed the situation a little more thoroughly than they are able to do with CT, MRI and ultrasound. From the information that he has received so far, he really wants me to prepare myself for the hysterectomy.

So I've been "preparing" by crying a lot. This is an emotional experience that I never thought I would have to experience as a 33 year old. John and I had made our peace with only having Annie, but this really makes it done. I'm also a little worried about the surgery itself and recovery. It's scary.

The surgery will be on Thursday, February 5 at 2:00 if anyone wants to send good thoughts our way around that time. I will be fine, eventually. I have a good surgeon, a concerned husband and a loving Heavenly Father who will get me through this.

I keep having to remind myself that I wanted these answers. I'm grateful for the answers. I'm not yet grateful for the results those answers have given me. Maybe I will be when my annual gyn exam comes up and I don't need to have a pap smear! We'll see.

15 comments:

colleeeen said...

forgive me for seeming light-hearted about all this, but does having no uterus mean no more menstruation? i am so sorry, honey. i would totally swap uteruses with you if that was in the realm of possibility.

rachelsaysso said...

Here are my two natural reactions to sad news:

1. Make a joke: I'm with Colleen...I would swap mine for yours because mine is completely going to waste.

2.) Cry along with you: I'm doing a fine job at this.

Stephanie said...

No menstruation, no pap smears, no need for birth control . . . all good things.

No natural hormone coursing through my veins, having to have my bladder and other organs sewed up so they don't collapse from the weight of themselves, becoming an old lady at the age of 33 . . . all not so good things.

Thank you for making me laugh! I love you guys.

Suzee said...

I am glad you finally have answers. I've been thinking about you and worrying about you the last couple of weeks. Hoping that you were getting better.
My heart is breaking with you. I would so carry your baby for you if my uterus were sitting where it's supposed to. Sadly mine is totally prolapsed and I will be having mine removed soon as well.
Are they actually going to take your ovaries too? Why? Are they part of the problem? I would think they would leave you your natural hormones if they were able to.

Unknown said...

LUV YOU SIS!!! and for anyone else who loves her like our family does, please feel free to join us in a fast on Sunday (it's handy it's already fast sunday!) for her, she would never announce this on her blog (and i feel a little weird doing this "here" too!) but we are dedicating our fast to her getting the best result (what ever that ends up being) and for a speedy un-eventful recovery and for her to be WELL!.

Unknown said...

oh yea and i'm with Rachel and Colleen i'd swap with ya BUT when I had KayLea the Dr said "You have well used uterus" I think she was insuating that I had a worn out uterus??" so go with the young ones if you get the chance!
hugs!

Kirsten said...

I know words don't help with things like this, but we love you and we'll be praying for you. One thing we've learned is this; Heavenly Father always has a better plan for us then the one we planned for ourselves.

Lanes said...

We love you and are keeping you in our prayers!

colleeeen said...

my mom had a hysterectomy years ago. i think it was a mostly happy event for her, i'll ask her about it and pass on her words of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

I will be thinking of you Stephanie! Please post again when you are well and let us all know what happened in your surgery. Love ya!

Lora and Carl said...

oh! and ohhhhh.. and awwwww and hmmmm? My thoughts for you are hard to express. Your strength and honesty inspire me. Miracles happen on all kinds of levels, healing or the ability to bear the trial. I'll pray for both.

Lora

Jeana said...

Hang in there. Been there done that, lived to tell about it. Love you.

Jazz Joyner Livingston said...

We are rooting for you over here in Utah! And I thought, now that you don't have to get violated once a year with the "woman" dr...you should trade that Dr visit for a day at the spa...get a massage, or a pedicure!!

Mrs. Two Cents said...

Sending you wishes of love and comfort! Hang in there!

Lynelle Klein said...

Will make sure you are on the prayer list of the Orlando temple before Thursday.

Love you, my dear friend.