I'm not really grumpy. . .
O.K. - maybe I am. I'm grumpy. I'm tired, I'm cranky and I'm officially grumpy. Please don't take offense, but I just don't want to be touched. I don't really feel like talking, either. I just want to sleep and/or watch bad television. I don't think I should be allowed in public for a little while.
I poured out my crankiness on an unsuspecting Sprouts checkout teenager yesterday. Yea. That was me. She was complaining about a couple of screaming kids in the store - which, by the way, I couldn't even hear because I tend to tune those things out. But there she was, in her 17 years of glory telling me that that mother needs to take care of her kids because sometimes it just "gets so annoying."
So I told her that "sometimes kids cry" and "don't you think she still needs to get stuff done, even if she has a sad two-year-old" and I almost asked for a manager and a Valium but I stopped myself. She then looked at Annie and said "well, she's not screaming!" and I seriously thought about pulling her left nostril over her knee. I explained to her heinousness that when she was two, she did a whole lot of screaming in inappropriate places, but that I never thought that a supermarket was a terribly inappropriate place. She looked at me like I was an alien telling her where to put her probe. I stopped my little tirade, again, and then went to my car with a list of snarky things I should have continued to tell her.
Then I cried a little, because I knew that I wasn't grumpy at her or insensitivity. Nevermind. Yes I was.
But I was also grumpy because I would love to have a screaming second child in Sprouts. I would love to resolve a fight between siblings. I would actually love to feel embarrassed about my noisy childREN.
Yes, everything reminds me that I only have one.
So forgive the nastiness towards Utah in my last post - I love more than just Will, I was just grumpy. I'm still not a fan of snow . . . or uppity Utah people who think they are better Mormons because they live in "Zion" . . . but I shouldn't take that out on all the good people who live there. See, I know there's good people there. All kinds.
I'm just a little grumpy.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I hate it when you're feeling grumpy and then on top of that a little of the grumpiness spills over in public and then you feel like a jerk.
But you were 100% right to tell the girl what you did. She needed to hear it.
I'm sorry you're having a bad day. I hope you're planning on making it better with dessert.
You just go right ahead and grump away! As a matter of fact, next time, call me and I'll go out and grump at people with you! :~}
I guess I am getting old, because teenagers really annoy me these days. I would have done the same thing. We love you, and we love that you would come to Satan's doorstep to see our little one ;) We think that you have a pretty great little one yourself.
I hope you have a better day tomorrow. Actually, I hope that your day has already gotten better.
Sometimes us Utahnns aren't fans of "uppity mormons" either!
Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
I left a comment on the wrong post.. see the one below this one..
love and hugs to ya
I was totally grumpy this week too. Must be going around :) Totally understand!
We are kindred spirits, Stephanie. I am feeling your pain this week.
Hey, I read this and then had to go and read your last one to see what you were apologizing for. I didn't see anything worth an apology. That being said, I am glad for this post. Rebecca and I run into the same problem all the time.
Kitty would always turn to people like that and say "you get paid by the hour don't you?".
When they said yes,she would reply, "It shows."
The beauty is that they probably didn't get it.
I am working on being able to tell people like that what they need to hear. I'm proud of you!
Cheers,
Brian
Post a Comment