We were watching "America's Got Talent" on television and there was a beautiful young black girl who was dancing in a group.
Annie turns to me and says, "Mommy, I wish I had dark skin." Knowing that this will never happen, I figure this may be a time to teach tolerance and equity as well as her being good with the body she was given. I say, "I think dark skin is pretty, too, but you won't ever be able to have as dark of skin as her."
You can tell she's turning it over in her mind a little. She asks "why" a couple of times and I tell her that she will probably get more freckles, but she's so fair-skinned that she probably won't ever have much of a tan.
"Mommy, I have an idea! Maybe I could have just ONE freckle - all over my body!" she says.
That wouldn't look freaky at all, child.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love how a child's mind is so simple. It always makes me giggle.
I always wanted to be Mexican when I was little. I still kinda do. Insert sigh.
Kids are hilarious! When my neice met Grace for the first time she asked why her skin was so dark. My sister said that she was made different but it was just as beautiful. Then Kenna said, "She won't get pink like me, huh?" My sis said, "No she won't get sunburns" then Kenna turned to Grace and said "lucky!!" and just like that they don't see color anymore!
Post a Comment