Friday, October 2, 2009

Happy Birthday John

Before John and I got engaged, I had just graduated from college and needed a car to get to work. I took my father to a dealership and bought the car I currently still drive (1997 Honda Civic). My saleslady was a perky, southern, bouffant-laden woman who was knowledgeable to a fault, and after we squared away the mountain of paperwork, we got to talking about what ladies tend to talk about - men.

She told me about her "beloved." It was obvious that she was talking about her longterm, live-in boyfriend and that she didn't like the term "boyfriend." When she talked about her "beloved" she made me want a "beloved." Not the live-in, long-term boyfriend, but I wanted someone I could call "beloved."

I am happy to say that John is more than my beloved - he is my husband. I hope that when I say "husband," I have as much love and affection in my voice as my car dealer had for her "beloved." Husband is a beautiful, amazing word and it should be respected and admired.

Happy Birthday to my beloved husband!

I'm thinking about the day I bought my car because, today of all days, the thing decided not to start. Rum, rum, rooom, rooooo, oooof, click, nothing. I love my husband because, when I called him at work to tell him my car wouldn't start, he said he would come home and look at it and we would go to Sam's club and get a new battery. He then asked me if I needed to go anywhere now. Yep, I need wrapping paper (for my gift that I've had for months!) and a cake - or at least ingredients for a cake, possibly ice cream. I left everything for this morning.

So Happy Birthday to my amazing husband who will be spending much of his birthday doing stuff for me. I love you and I'm so glad you are mine forever.

No comments: