Friday, December 11, 2009

little girls . . .

Annie has a lot of friends at school and church, but it's only every once in a while that she gets a playdate at home. (I think people seem to think that it's not fair to let me babysit their three or four kids while I only have one - but that's another post.)

Today, I have the privilege of watching Annie and another little girl play at our house. They spent the first half hour admiring and commenting on my Christmas decorations (ohhh - it light's up! It's so pretty! Watch it sparkle!). I wonder what those comments would have been if there were two boys playing (Ohhh - I wonder what those would look like broken?).

I love hearing little girl comments and little girl things come out of the mouths of these little girls. They complement each other and tell each other they look pretty in their princess outfits - they giggle - they dance.

Annie's not a true girly girl, but every once in a while she enjoys playing the part with a good girlfriend, which is not unlike me. I have built houses with Habitat for Humanity, caulked a bathroom and worn a tool belt, but I still like to put on pretty shoes, a little lip gloss and get a pedicure. It's always better with a girlfriend to talk to and complement me on my good polish choices.

It's fun to have another girl around. Maybe one day Annie will be the girl I choose to go get a pedicure with. Until then, she has good friends to fill that girly space that needs filled.

I'm just so grateful for little girls.

No comments: