Saturday, April 17, 2010

My mother the ar-teeest

You've heard me talk about my mother before. She's simply amazing. Not only did she raise six stellar children, she did it all while sewing most of our clothes and beautifying our home with her craftiness.

When I was in junior high, Mom got into tole painting (along with the rest of Mormon mommy set). It was a great creative outlet for her and, it turns out, she was really good at it. She has since improved on her amazingness and has become a true artist. I have been blessed to have one of her beautiful nativity sets and my Christmas present this year was a lovely baby portrait of Annie.

She now has an etsy shop and a really cute blog!! Most of what she has are these beautiful children's toys.



My mom gave two of her grandsons these beautiful pieces of art for Christmas last year and I have first-hand experience knowing that children GRAVITATE to these toys. Annie (almost six) and Will (two years old) spent the week they were together playing and dragging Noah and the animals everywhere. These are quality toys that won't break the first time you take it out of the box - and there are no silly noises that will drive you crazy. Just pure, creative play.

Yes, I am biased. I not only love the art, I love the woman who made the art. She puts her heart and soul into these pieces. She really loves children - and she is the world's best grandmother.

Take a look and tell a friend . . . she deserves to have an empty shop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lanes said...

Will loves his Noah's Ark set from Grandma Cathy. He plays with it all the time. The elephants are my favorite. They are very elephant-y. The pieces are all beautiful and functional.

My only regret is that we got one of Mom's prototypes (I know, being an early adopter is always tough). From looking at her Etsy shop, she has made some serious improvements (not that the prototypes had anything wrong with them at all, mind you).

What a great Mom we have. I am glad my boys have such a wonderfully talented Grandmother. I hope some of it rubs off on them.

colleeeen said...

Your mother's toys are lovely. They make me wish I knew how to work with wood. Those would indeed make beautiful gifts.

Unknown said...

Ok so just to be the older winey sister.. just be grateful Mom talked about this when Brad was a baby but was way too busy with kids work life etc.etc.. now my TEENAGERS probably wouldn't appreciate the noah's ark... so yes i'm bitter!! but yes we have an AWESOME mom and I told her I still want one!!!
PS we are having a very fun time antiquing and I am loving trying to lure her into another medium.. rug hooking.. I can't do it but i'm pretty convenced she can do anything!