Thursday, June 3, 2010

Weight Watchers vs. Real Food

There is a real dilemma in the Weight Watchers world. Do you use all the sugar free/fat free/calorie free/taste free stuff so that you come in under your points or do you use "real" food and just eat less of it. I knew at the beginning of this journey that I was leaning heavily toward the "real" food alley - this is going to be a lifestyle change and I need to learn how to eat sugar and fat in moderation. Plus, real food tastes so much better. Plus, I have a genetic aversion to anything with aspartame in it, so it just makes my life a little more difficult to try and search for things with sucralose, etc.

During this first week of WW I've made some pretty rookie mistakes, but I have also learned a lot about "real" food and how I can make it taste good and not make it count so heavily on my backside.

First of all - I've discovered I don't hate oatmeal. I don't really like it hot - but I like it lukewarm-ish to cold. I think it tastes very much like an oatmeal cookie like this. I also like to make it with boiled water stirred in - like the packets. I've discovered I can make my own oatmeal packets (three parts quick oats and one part oat flour that I just put through my food processor - mix together and separate out into 1/2 cup baggies) put a tablespoon of real brown sugar and a little salt and I have a perfectly yummy 2 point breakfast. I could even add fruit and a milk for an acceptable 5 points. It tastes sooooo much better than the sugar-free packets - and I feel good about "wasting" a point on the tablespoon of brown sugar. Seriously, isn't real food worth a point?

I also discovered that you can have a mountain of rice and beans (1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of beans!!) for 4 points! I put salsa on top (free) and ate until I was full. I didn't finish and I didn't want anything else for the rest of the night. It helps that it's one of Annie's favorite meals and that I can put a little bit of cheese on top of hers and she'll scarf it right down. Rice and beans - you are my new best friend.

I still need to figure out how many points a slice of my bread is - but I feel pretty good today.

Especially because I lost 4.2 pounds this last week!

I shouldn't feel too smug - they say the first couple of weeks you are on WW you lose the most you'll ever lose. I guess it just shows how much I was actually eating before.

I'll take what I can get.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Awesome!! Some of my favorite breads are the Sara Lee De-lightful (1 point for 2 slices). Or if you do Bountiful Baskest, it's just one point per slice of their yummy bread. If you are making your own I am not sure, you will have to calculate all the calories/fat/fiber for all your ingredients, and divide it by however many slices you cut.
But great job on the weight loss!! You are doing awesome! Keep it up!!

Lynsee said...

Congrats! By the way, Costco has some amazing oatmeal that I love! I will not go back to quaker. It's called coach's oats and they're toasted so they are more like steel cut oats. Very good! It's also awesome with a little brown sugar and banana sliced on top.