Thursday, September 2, 2010

A conversation I had with Annie today

Annie: Will I always be with you?
Me: Yes - I have you forever and ever.
Annie: What about when I go to college?
Me: Well, you may not always live with us but you will always be ours.
Annie: (getting teary eyed) But, what if I miss you?
Me: You won't miss us when you go to college. You'll love college! (Giving her a hug and hoping the tears won't start coming down her face)
Annie: But what if you move away? (Tears are coming now)
Me: We won't move away, but you might. And that's alright. We don't need to live near each other to love each other.
Annie: O.K. But I'm just going to move next door. That way I can come and see you whenever I want.
Me: O.K. You can move next door. I'll let you.

I'll remind her of this conversation the first time she slams a door and says "I hate this house!"