I had an idyllic childhood. I had parents who stayed together and had lots of babies and we grew up fighting and loving and making all kinds of memories as a family. I also had friends - and not always a lot of them. I usually stuck with a couple of really good friends who I liked to be with and who liked to be with me.
When we moved to LaMirada when I was very young, I met Wendy. She lived around the corner from us and we used to play a lot. She was always very agile and sporty and pretty and I was the friend who was gawky and tall and never quite looked right. I loved going over to her house where her mom (really her grandmother) would let us experiment in the kitchen and gave us boxes so we could raise snails in her backyard. We spent a lot of time at parks and at the beach where we would play and play and play and then go to Thriftys for ice cream. We had a lot of Thriftys ice cream. We had a lemonade stand.
Like I said - idyllic.
Facebook reunited Wendy and I and we have been trying to get a little reunion together for a couple of years. We met after many, many years at the same little house that I played at as a child. We talked and talked about what we've been up to, about memories. She had pictures of our lemonade stand. We took a walk and I saw the little house that my family lived in (I thought it was sooo much bigger) and we took the same walk that my brother and I took every day after school. My family moved out of state when I was in the fifth grade - so Wendy was my childhood friend from since I could remember until I was about 10.
It was a lovely reunion with both Wendy and her mother (Pat). I am so glad that I have made good friends over the years. It was so much fun to relive my childhood a little bit. I'm still tall and a little gawky, and she lives in LA and has had a bit more glamorous life than I do in mommy-ville. It was like going back in time a little - and I loved every minute of it.
Thanks for a great morning Wendy and Pat! Here's to many more reunions.
Monday, January 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
another thing that could NEVER happen today is that we had to FIND Wendy by exploring the neighborhood.. she went to private school so we ONLY knew her from the neighborhood..I don't think I would EVER (and can say HAVE NEVER) let my kids to just explore any neighborhood we've lived in (and we've lived in some great ones!) to "find" friends...
glad you had a good visit!!!
Thrifty ice cream...chocolate chip. That was the best. One scoop for a nickel. Those were the days!
Glad you had fun with your friend.
Post a Comment