Saturday, November 17, 2007

Some fun stuff

Probably because I'm a little hormonal (It's easy to blame the hormones right now, but it's just because I'm crazy) I decided to do something crazy for preschool this week. It's only the second time that I've taught preschool with this co-op and I just wanted to be extraordinary this week. My letter was "K" and on Tuesday we "kicked" a ball, blew "kisses" and looked into some pretty cool "kaleidoscopes" and did a little craft based on it. I then decided to do a one-theme-Thursday and focus on "Kings." I thought that it would be reasonable to sew each child (there are 8 of them) a courtly cape, make a foam crown and scepter and dress them all up as Kings. I went to Walmart, found some truly hideous bright red fabric in the dollar section, bought some bias tape, foam and pvc pipe and I was set. It only took me two or three hours to get everything done and the kids looked amazing (pictures will be coming as soon as I can get John to e-mail them to me).

A few things I've learned in the process . . . Never underestimate the power of a three-year-old to figure out how to make their crown sparkle with stick-on jewels AND use those same jewels to decorate my kitchen floor (they were only given 5 or 6 jewels - it was amazing how many I had to pick up off the floor!) . . . Some little girls take a bit of offense at being dressed up like Kings - but if you give them pink sparkles and tell them that they can be princesses when they get home, they'll usually give in . . . Little boys love scepters and will use them as wands, light sabers and swords . . . If you decide to not hem any of the capes because it will just take too darn long, at least go back and hem your daughter's cape, because it will be all she will want to wear and you will get annoyed at how frayed it's looking.

No comments: