Friday, November 30, 2007

Many are called . . . few are chosen

I have been summoned for Jury Duty four times and John has only been called twice (the first he was supposed to report two days after he left for his mission and the second time he was supposed to report a couple weeks after we moved out of - so he didn't have to really report either time). I have reported in Athens, GA; Pickens County, SC; and now in Phoenix, AZ. I am an expert on Jury Duty - I know how the process works (even if it is a little different in every courtroom) except I have never been selected for a Jury.

I got the closest this week. I was on a Jury panel where I actually got to the point where I was asked all the personal questions. It was a DUI case so I was asked about my drinking habits (I had to stand and say I have a religious conviction against not drinking), I had to state my occupation, my husband's occupation, whether or not I had a lawyer in my family (I do now thanks to Uncle Scott!!). It was actually pretty interesting. But, alas, I wasn't chosen. Which is fine, because it takes almost an hour to get to downtown from my house, and the drive was really getting annoying.

I wouldn't mind being on a Jury, I think it's a service that makes the justice system work. But it sure is boring! Phoenix does the best job out of all the states in making the process a little more enjoyable. They showed movies in the Jury waiting room and had comfortable seating. In Athens they wouldn't even let you bring in a book, let alone my PDA or anything work related. It was four hours of torture. In South Carolina, I was actually nursing at the time, so I brought my pump (and had the requisite stares from the security guards). I wasn't trying to get out of it, I just didn't know how long I would be there. Here, they didn't even bat an eye when I brought in scissors and colored pencils so I could finish my Christmas cards.

I must have a name that the random name generator likes or something. I expect to be called again. Maybe eventually I'll get on a jury and I'll be able to tell you about it.

On another great note - John's been working hard and has updated the website. www.stempinski.com - he's done a great job and I would love for you to see it!

Love you guys!

No comments: