I'm posting this a lot later than I should, but I figured it's better late than never. Halloween at our house was really busy and fun this year. Annie was a doctor (pictures forthcoming, hopefully) and this was the year that she finally "got" the holiday. She was so excited about going trick-or-treating - and I was excited about her excitement. The trunk-or-treat at church was way over the top - it's fun to be in a big ward when Halloween comes around. Our new building has a pavillion that's set up in the back of the church, and since Arizona weather is PERFECT right now, the whole thing was outside. We had chili, cornbread and lemonade - and then we had a bunch of carnival games that were set up by each auxiliary (the young women were in charge of face painting and the duck pond, but since I have a 3.5-year-old excuse - I didn't have to do any work! Sweet!). Then we all went to our cars and opened our trunks and I handed out candy while John escorted Annie through the thick of children. It was GREAT!
Except when a friend came by and told me that she was going to take away her sons candy and only give it back to him if he went pee-pee. I thought it was a great idea, so I told Annie she couldn't have any candy unless she went pee-pee. She looked at me and said "O.K. I don't need any candy!." What kind of kid doesn't neeeeeeeeed candy? I got the only one who doesn't care whether or not she ever has a snickers bar again!! Not fair. Especially because I couldn't go back on my "no candy until you go pee-pee" - so I ended up eating the candy. Not a good compromise. Annie literally didn't care when it just disappeared.
So the trick-or-treating candy, and the 4 gallon sized bags that it filled up, did not have a disclaimer on it. She could eat it with reckless abandon. She ate it for breakfast the next morning and I was figuring she would be clamoring for more, but she actually told me that she didn't want anymore candy. "Could I have some pancakes?" she said. Fine - eat your pancakes. What do I care?
All-in-all - she had a great Halloween. We hiked the whole neighborhood and then met up with friends and hiked to more houses. She loved the trick-or-treating part of it. But we never once had to even tell her to "keep her hands off the candy before we get home."
My daughter likes the act of trick-or-treating more than the end result! What a funny kid.
Now what can I give her to bribe her to sit on the potty?????
Sunday, November 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment