Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Earth Day Amazingness



I guess Earth Day is coming up, and I've been seeing on other people's blogs how they are trying to help the world. So I've decided to list how I try to help! I'm not perfect in all that I do (and I'm NOT an environmentalist-wacko), but I am fully aware that living on this Earth means I need to do my part in keeping it healthy.

Here's a list . . .

1. I recycle. I didn't before I moved into a home that had curbside pick-up, but now I am fully on the bandwagon. Our HOA used to pay for our trash/recycle pickup. They decided it was too expensive so now we're in charge of it. I decided to stick with the company that recycles instead of the one that picks up regular garbage twice a week. I was proud to see most of my neighborhood doing the same.

2. I cook from scratch. I know that sounds like a long shot, but have you ever noticed how much packaging goes into frozen pre-made foods versus the ingredients that go into said foods? It's significant.

3. I reuse (and then recycle) plastic grocery bags. I have this nifty little contraption under my sink that fits a grocery bag perfectly. Since this is my recycling bin, I end up recycling the grocery bag along with all the other glass, aluminium and plastic. Yes, I feel superior.

4. I think it's really cool that my friend Colleen is getting her new (to her) diesel car to run on vegetable oil. I would do it in a heartbeat. I don't think it would be difficult to find a source for used oil here. I think the first step in doing this is to think that other people doing it is the right thing, don't you?

4 comments:

Bananas said...

This is a great list! I totally believe that cooking from scratch has a bigger impact than we realize... on our bodies AND the environment. Keep up the great green work! :)

Kathryn Thompson said...

I love the idea of cooking from scratch having an environmental impact. I do it for fun and health but I really think you're right there and it's awesome that you're recycling by choice, rather than being compelled to. Thanks for playing along with us this Earth Day.

colleeeen said...

oh, crap. now i have to get off my rump and actually get the conversion done. it's gonna cost more than i was originally quoted, so i've been dragging my heels. but now that you're holding me up as a good example i HAVE to do it. thanks, you wonderful royal pain. ;)

Anonymous said...

:D

It's the little things, really, that make a difference in our lives. I like the baking from scratch idea too, since there is a lot of excess packaging in store-bought food. Just take into account the amount of packaging that goes into the ingredients you use to bake too.

Love ya sis!