I really felt like my toppings were a testament to provident living and reduction in waste. For some odd reason, through my veggie co-op and my own personal shopping, I ended up with about a dozen full heads of garlic. Not wanting them to go to waste, I roasted about six of them, squeezed their little insides out and made a pasty/saucy thing. Covered that with swiss cheese and parsley and called it yum. Annie even liked this one. It was a beautiful garlic flavor, and the swiss cheese complimented it well.
My second pizza was even easier. About a month ago, I recieved about 5 pounds of pears that I didn't quite know what to do with. I found a recipe for pear butter that's made in a crock pot. It was easy and divine. I froze a couple of cups (since I still don't have canning equipment) and pulled it out to use on a dessert pizza. It was a simple slather - and while the pizza was in the oven, I made a quick glaze to drizzle over the warm pizza.
Waste not, want not. Proving you can have a yummy meal with things on hand.
P.S. I know I look a little dee-dee-dee in my throwing picture. Please focus on the dough, and not on my face or hands. Thanks.
1 comment:
Wow, your pizzas look and sound great! I love making homemade pizza with toppings that I find in my freezer (frequenly veggies that are nearly ready to go into the compost bin!). It is such a satisfying feeling! I am going to try your garlic/swiss cheese combo. It sounds yum.
Post a Comment