Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Humph

Lately, Annie has been saying "Humphf" when she is frustrated. I never thought that was an actual word, more of an action. She has made it into a word. There is never a question about her frustration level. She folds her arms, furrows her brow, crinkles her nose and says "HUMPHF!" It would be cuter if she wasn't so serious about it.

I'll have you know that I don't regularly "Humphf" under my breath. This has come from another source beyond her parents.

After reading "Horton Hears a Who," It think I've figured out that Dr. Seuss is the culprit. There's a lot of "humphf-ing" going on in that book. It's one of Annie's favorites and, at least in my experience with Dr. Seuss, you can't really leave out the syllables.

"Humphf!" humphfed a voice. 'Twas a sour kangaroo.
And the young kangaroo in her pouch said "Humpf!" too.


Last night Annie "humphf-ed" when we didn't have avocados in our taco salad. This morning it was because I wouldn't let her get the kitchen table messy with play-doh right before breakfast.

At least she's using the "word" grammatically correctly!

1 comment:

rachelsaysso said...

I'd probably humphf too if there were no avacados in my taco salad. I would most certainly sigh.