We named Annie when I was about five months pregnant. I had a hormonal surge of some kind and simply "had" to name her. We bought a couple of books and we chose her first name within the "A" section. I don't know if we were in that much of a hurry, but the name stuck and we have been tremendously happy with it.
Lately, Annie has been experimenting with new names. For about a week she has asked to be called "Ooh-la-la." If she is behaving appropriately, I will call her "Ooh-la-la." I just can't reprimand "Ooh-la-la." Sorry - it's too funny of a name to tell to go to the bathroom or to tell her for the hundredth time that she needs to get dressed. She gets upset with me for not remembering her name, but sometimes I have to pull rank. I am the mom.
On Wednesday, her preschool teacher said she had a bit of a hard time because she wanted to be called "Flower Power." Her friends were trying to convince her (as only four-year-olds can) that her name was Annie, not "Flower Power." She kept getting upset and she actually cried a little and yelled at her teacher for not remembering her name. We talked about it in the car on the way home. I told her that we need to be nice to our friends and teachers, even if they don't do something we want them to do. Her response? "But mom, I was Flower Power. They didn't understand."
I understand, little girl. I get it. "Ooh-la-la" and "Flower Power" are welcome in our home . . . until your room needs cleaning.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i want my name to be ooh-la-la.
Post a Comment