I don't give Annie a lot of credit for her genius. Sometimes I think "she can't do that, she's only 4," and then one of her friends does a backflip on the trampoline, eats a salad or does the hokey pokey and I realize that maybe I'm holding her back. I've tried to be more adventurous in my parenting, but since I don't have any backup kids I tend to hold her close.
She's still smart, though. It makes me glad that I chose to get a college education before I became a mother. Mostly because when she asks "Why do we have blood?," I can guiltlessly tell her to ask her father. See - it's not that I'm dumb . . . In fact, I'm quite smart (and I have the diploma to prove it). I just think that hearing "because blood carries oxygen-rich nutrients to your brain and your fingers so that they will work correctly," sounds better coming from a pharmacist.
I think we're ready for the tough questions. We're ready to tackle where babies come from and the nature of God. We're firm in our foundation of the gospel of Jesus Christ and we're up to the challenge of teaching Annie right versus wrong. I'm excited about the new adventures that she will be taking in Kindergarten and I'm only a little nervous about the new things she will be learning from friends. Mostly, I think we're well equipped to handle the smart, beautiful little girl we've been entrusted with.
So why was I stumped when she asked, (while feeling her little ribs) "Why isn't it called a heart cage?"
I don't know honey. Good question.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment