We are creatures of habit. Annie and I wake up at about the same time every morning, do about the same things for our morning routine and head out at about the same time to catch the bus. On the way to the bus, there are a few houses that have sprinklers on to water their dead grass (side note - grass does not grow well in Phoenix, I don't care how much you water and overseed - it never looks lush and beautiful). We have become such creatures of habit that whenever Annie walks by these houses, the sprinklers (which are obviously on timers) turn off. She noticed this happening and now she raises her hand and closes her eyes when she walks by a house with the sprinklers on. Surprisingly, most of the time - they turn off. I laugh every time it happens because it makes her so happy to be "able" to do this.
She loves that she has this super power. She giggles and really thinks that it is her mind that's making the sprinklers turn off. She was disappointed this morning when her mind trick worked at one house but didn't work at the big house on the corner. I told her that they must be tough sprinklers. She kept raising her arm and closing her eyes and thinking good sprinkler-turning-off thoughts. "Maybe," I said, "if you think really, really hard - they'll turn off." I like to encourage silly behavior in Annie - it makes my job as a mother so much more fun. She tried her best to turn those sprinklers off.
They didn't ever turn off before she loaded onto the bus, but on my way home, they turned off for me. Maybe her superpowers are rubbing off? Maybe we can be the dynamic sprinkler-turning-off duo that saves Arizona from vast amounts of water consumption!
Or maybe we just need to be the silly ones that think that we can turn off sprinklers with our minds.
Whatever it is, we're having fun.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What it is is that she has a sprinkler fairy. I have a parking fairy and can find a great parking place nearly everywhere I go. Karen and Caleb both have game fairies. They win any game they play. If Karen is playing a game with Caleb, Caleb's fairy is stronger and will overpower Karen's fairy. I guess the younger you are, the more power your fairy has.
All this mumbo-jumbo was taken from a book called "How to Ditch Your Fairy" and you can read more about it here- http://nanasangelbabies.blogspot.com/2010/03/we-have-fairies.html
Post a Comment