Saturday, December 1, 2007

Santa Clause

We went to take Annie to see Santa Claus at the mall yesterday. She was too cute! We were a little worried because we've never been able to get a smiling picture of her with Santa. The first two years of her life, she was terrified of him. Last year, she just didn't want to go near him.

But this year - we really played it up! "Annie - are you going to sit on Santa's lap and tell him what you want for Christmas?" "Annie, I think Santa will give you a cookie or a treat if you go and sit on his lap and smile pretty." So we asked her if she wanted to go see Santa and she got all excited. We were big cheerleaders all the way to the mall and when we got there we were only the second or third in line.

It worked!! She sat on Santa's lap, looked sweet, smiled pretty for the camera and then started talking to Santa. Here's how the conversation went . . .

Santa: What do you want for Christmas?
Annie: One cookie!
Santa: Only one cookie? What if I want one cookie?
Annie: You can have a cookie, I just want one cookie.
Santa: Are you sure you don't want anything else for Christmas.
Annie: Nope, just one cookie.

He then told her where the "treat" was - it was in a little container that looked like a cupcake. It wasn't a cookie. It was a sweet book about tracking Santa on Christmas Eve. So Annie then asked me where her cookie was. We went to Mrs. Fields and told her it was from Santa.

We then went to one of those expensive little mall booths where they sell those polymer ornaments that they put your names on. Ever since Annie was born, we've bought one of these ornaments for our tree. Even though they are cheesy and trite, I love them. I love bringing them out every year and remembering why we chose the one we chose.

It has been my favorite day so far this holiday season. I really do love Christmas.

No comments: