Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Daring Bakers - Caramelly Goodness

This month makes me love the Daring Bakers even more than I have before. I loved making the Caramel cake. I love caramel things, but I normally wouldn't think of making cakes that had so much caramel flavor.
This month's recipe comes from Shuna Fish Lydon of Eggbeater. Here's her recipe.

This month's hosts are
Alex of Blondie and Brownie duo and Jenny of Foray into food and Natalie of Gluten-a-go-go helped with the alternative bakers.

The recipe is great, albeit a little on the sweet side. There is a lot of sugar you need to caramelize, but it's easy and fun. I would suggest taking the sugar a little farther than you think you should. I didn't burn it, but I made the caramel very, very dark. I think it added something beautiful to the moist, delicious cake. Annie ate three.

I made this cake into cupcakes and took them to a baby shower. It's fun to share my baking with my friends. If you notice, I took it up a notch by stamping little cupcake picks. The cars all had "Vroom" on the back of them and there were cute planes that said "Flying High" on the back of them. They hit a cute note that is sometimes hard to hit with little boy baby showers.

I'm still trying to find "golden syrup" so I can make the Sea Salt caramels. Maybe that's what I'll do this next week as I prepare for the Christmas madness.

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving! Can't wait for next month's Daring Baker's challenge.




5 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

What a great job! Glad you enjoyed this months recipe!

The Brian Rodgers Family said...

Wow, that sounds great.
golden syrup is an English thing. it is in a green tin, look under Lyon's golden syrup. it is very thick and well, golden. I have a couple of tins. If you can't find one, let me know, and I will send one to you.

Stephanie said...

I haven't actually checked out my local markets yet, but I have a Trader Joes and a World Market pretty close, I'm sure I can find it.

I love that you called it a "tin."

love you

Dolores said...

I think the statement "Annie ate 3" really says it all. I'm glad our challenge worked so well for you; thanks for baking with us this month. Happy holidays!

Unknown said...

What a great helper you have! Glad you enjoyed the challenge.