Saturday, September 19, 2009

So grateful for a non-picky eater

I admit it - we did something right. Either that, or Annie's just innately non-picky. Whatever the reason, both John and I love that Annie is rather adventurous in her eating.

Tonight, we went to one of those Chinese buffets. A new one opened up near our house and we thought we would make a meal out of it. We used to go to one in South Carolina that was pretty impressive but our Chinese food experience here in Arizona hasn't been that wonderful! We thought we would at least give it a shot (and we had a coupon!).

It was pretty great - although I would probably recommend going for lunch on a weekday - it's a lot cheaper than dinner on a weekend.

But I digress. We went to this Chinese food buffet, and they had a raw bar complete with oysters. They also had crab legs, shrimp and cray-fish along with all the other "chinese" staples.

I took Annie and asked her what she wanted on her plate. She looked at the oyster and said "I want to try that!" I personally don't like oysters, but the place seemed clean enough so I put one on her plate and told her she could try anything she wanted (that's what is so great about buffets!). She then looked at the crayfish and asked for one of those. We filled up the rest of her plate with chicken meatballs, salad, fruit and a roll.

I went back to fill up my plate and before I got back, she had downed the oyster. John said she didn't even think twice about it, just sloshed it back. She said she liked it. I was terribly impressed.

She waited for me to get back to the table in order to try the crayfish. I tore it apart and we got the little bit of meat out of the tail. She seemed to like it. We then told her to suck the head - she didn't even blink before she lifted the crayfish head to her mouth and took a big slurping suck. "I got a little bit of juice out of it!," she said. "Good job, Annie!"

We marvel at her adventurous spirit.

Now we just have to get her to love spicy foods!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Good for you! Ethan is exactly the OPPOSITE in his eating. Poor kid's stuck in oatmeal, cereal, noodle soup and fish sticks. Good for you in getting her to eat!!!

Patti said...

I wouldn't even touch most of that stuff!

colleeeen said...

OK, Annie beats me. I ate a prawn eye once on a dare, but I will never suck out a crawfish head. Never.