We're not going to Peter Piper Pizza this week.
She got a yellow - was sad and punished - and the very next day she got a red. Yea, she learned her lesson!
She went straight from green to red when she bit someone. I guess bodily harm makes it so you don't even get a warning. I don't blame the teacher - biting is gross. When asked why she bit her "friend" she said "we were just playing. I love her." "Honey, we don't show love to you by biting you do we?" "No, but we were just playing!"
They might have just been playing, but teacher was not happy. I guess she had to sit by herself at lunch the next day. That was probably a good thing. She gets distracted easily. The day she sat by herself was the first day all her lunch was eaten. It might have been because I complained about the movie they were watching.
Yea, you heard right. They watch a MOVIE during lunch! I guess they are short staffed and they use the movie as a babysitter so the kids don't get too loud or rowdy. No wonder Annie comes home with 3/4 of her lunch still in her lunchbox! We don't watch or listen to anything while we eat. We eat. Period. Movies are big treats in our house - so of course she would rather watch a movie than eat. I talked to the teacher and I asked if there was a way to postpone the movie for 20 minutes so that the kids who are highly influenced by movies could eat a proper meal. What I really wanted to say was "Turn the darn movie off and figure out a way to monitor these kids while they eat their lunch." But I didn't. Compromise is key I guess. They postponed the movie for 20 minutes and my kid ate and was on green the whole day.
You think there might be a connection there?
I promise we still love our rotten kid.
Saturday, September 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think you handled it WAY better than I would have.. MOVIE during lunch.. our kids only get 20 minutes for lunch and yes I guess we DO have enough staff to monitor lunch (but we don't have a "lunch staff" the teachers and aids rotate "lunch duty") BUT honestly I don't think Annie would be the only one to get distracted by a movie.. and its sending a weird message to watch movies while they EAT???!!! kinda weird if you ask me??
good luck it will get better I promise!
after reading my comment i'm feeling a little like I now need to give a disclamer; on rainy or bad weather day's when they have indoor recess a movie is often used at our school.. so I don't want to give off the impression that our kids NEVER get a movie at school.. so I hope I didn't come off as your school sucks or anything like that.. it wasn't my intent at all!
hugs
Our school doesn't suck - at all. It's a great school. They said they put a movie on because they have 40 minutes for lunch (which is way too long for anyone) and the kids get squirmy after 20 minutes or so. Because it's a new school, they really don't have the staff or resources to handle a bunch of crazy kids, but I still don't think a movie is the answer.
Breath in. I can make a difference. I can make a difference. I can make a difference. Breath out. My new mantra.
Post a Comment