I've been to three baby showers this week. No, I didn't write that incorrectly - there have been three. This week.
There are more coming up.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not really complaining about baby showers. I usually like baby showers - I've even been known to throw a few. Lately it's just been hard to get into the mood. Babies are always a blessing, but watching another woman open up beautiful, thoughtful gifts from her friends is sometimes hard for me to be around.
But then I think of the beautiful, thoughtful women that we are having these showers for. I love them. They are truly lovely people and it would break my heart if I wasn't invited to all of these showers. I tell myself this every time I go to one of these showers and realize, again, that it's hard for me to be there.
It's a crazy, vicious cycle that probably won't end until Annie's in college. But by that point I probably won't have friends who are pregnant and needing baby showers.
So I'll make you a deal. I'll show up and put my game face on. I'll eat the food and let you borrow my ladle. I'll sew up cute towels and tell the pregnant woman that she looks good (because she honestly always does).
I'll do it because it's the right thing to do.
My heart will catch on eventually.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Amen.
Couldn't have said it better. Sending hugs your way.
A big fat, tight hug.
Post a Comment