Thursday, September 11, 2008

The storms of life

7:00 is Annie's bedtime. Especially if she hasn't had a nap. Sometimes we start the process at about 6:45 so that she is asleep at 7:00. One of the good things about Annie is that she realized that sleep was important very, very young. She slept through the night at about 6 weeks old and has literally never looked back. I don't think this is a record of our amazing parenting. I really think that Annie just knows that sleep is a vital part of feeling good. I realized this when she was about 2 and told me it was time for her nap.

Not only does she go to sleep well, she stays asleep. A couple of months ago when she was at her grandparents house, a pretty big earthquake (5 pointer!) hit with the epicenter being just miles away from where she was. It was during the day, but she was tired and so her grandma told her to go take a nap. Without her being tucked in or sang to or anything, she went into a bedroom and took a nap. Amazingly, she slept through the whole earthquake - even the aftermath of other children screaming in terror. She can sleep through just about anything.

Last night a big monsoon hit around 7:00. The storm was so wild that when we opened our front door to look at it, the door whooshed open so quickly that it slammed John's arm into the wall (he's fine). The rain and the wind made it look like waves on the ocean. To top it all off, it was NOISY! We thought at first that it was hail, but after looking at it, we realized it was just really, really big drops of rain. The house sounded like we were being pelted by very small rocks.

We hear the tired screams of Annie. "Mooooooommmy. Daaaaaady." Daddy goes in to check on her since I am on the phone. He calms her down and tells her to not be afraid. He tells her that it will stop soon and it's just rain so there is nothing to be scared of. What does she tell her? "Daddy, I'm not scared. It just waked me up!"

It must have been a bigger storm than I thought.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Like Mother like Daughter! at least she's not mean when she's woken up hehe!

Shawn said...

I was working, but it hailed at my house! Chris got a whole bowl full of little ice and put it in the freezer for me to see! It must have hailed at your house, maybe you just couldn't see it!