I have to be careful though. I have brought things home just to realize that I am an idiot to have bought something so gnarly (thinking I could just clean it up a little), or something that doesn't fit with the decor I thought it would, or something that I didn't realize had a busted zipper. I've become a bit of a thrift store snob, not buying anything that I can't see a near future for in my home. I will no longer buy a bolt of old home decor fabric, just because I can.
So here's my loot load today. I spent less than $15!!
I was on the hunt for Halloween costume helps. She's going to be a pirate and I needed a white puffy shirt. This one will work nicely once I embellish it with some cheap lace. Bonus: since it had a blue tag, it was 50% off of $3.99!
I looked in the little girl section for some pirate boots - just in case they happened to have some her size. Voila! They are a little scuffed, but they look adorable and go almost to her knees! She's specifically asked for big buckles, but I think those can be added with cardboard and foil. I won't worry about her messing up a pair of $1.99 boots. FYI - they had a pair her size that were really cute and in great shape and were made by Kenneth Cole. I almost got them, but they were $7.99. Too rich for my blood! They weren't as piraty looking anyways.
I cannot go into a thrift store without at least looking at their books. I always end up getting a bunch of them. If I love them, I keep them. If not, they go right back to the thrift store so someone else can enjoy them. This particular thrift store had a special, buy 4 get the 5th half off. Since most of my books were less than $1 a piece, they gave me 49 cents off the Junie B. Jones (which was only 69 cents to begin with). This is how I got all of my Road Dahl books. Ahhh . . . if only they had all of the Anne of Green Gables.
I have been wanting a cute pair of workout capris ever since I started working out. I have sweat pants, but those get really hot. I have some workout shorts, but I really wanted those capris. I looked in stores and they were just too expensive ($20-$25 for a pair of workout pants that will get sweaty and gross). Today, I found the cute little capris, 4 bucks!!
The piece de la resistance! We've been looking for this game since we played it in Athens (at least 9 years ago!). It's a great group game that we had a ton of fun playing. We've wanted it for a while, but the company that made the game doesn't make it anymore. Ebay auctions always spike up when this game is involved, so I've never won an auction. When I saw it, I just wanted to "hip, hip, hooray" cuz it was all of $1.99.
2 comments:
OOH! Give me a call next time ya go! I want to check it out!
tee hee! i have made the same thrift mistakes as you. and i always end up with books, even when i tell myself "no books today." yesterday i bought 4 Dorling-Kindersley Eyewitness books, a children's book on the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, and a vegan cookbook with recipes for vegan pastrami and pepperoni! i am skeptical, but if i could eat guilt-free pastrami i would be a happy, happy girl. guilt-free prosciutto is probably too much to hope for. ;)
Post a Comment