I'm in a vicodin fog, so I hope I spell everything correctly.
I'm sure you are itching for the gory details - and I'm willing to give them to you. My surgery was a complete success. They were able to go in and remove my mass without taking out my uterus and ovaries. Are you crying yet? Because I am almost in tears reading that last sentence. It ends up it was a fibroid that was degenerating. It's been causing me and my uterus problems for a few years now. It actually burst through my poor uterus' wall and made itself a little home. The doctor was able to remove the fibroid (the surgery is called a myomectemy), sew up my uterus and part of my cervix and remove some things on my uterus that he felt were making it so my eggs weren't getting into my uterus and then sewed my large incision up. Nothing is cancerous or in anyway fatal, just gross.
I woke up from my surgery (throwing up - it's a great way to wake up!) and I asked the recovery nurse what they did to me. The recovery nurse was super sweet and while she was cleaning me up said "Oh, they just removed a fibroid." She probably thought I was nuts because I said, "I don't have a fibroid." She just giggled a little and told me that I did and that they removed it and that I was doing just fine. She then asked me if I wanted to see my incision. I did and I didn't, but I went along. It's about three times as long as my c-section scar, but it veers over to the left before getting to my belly button. It looks odd from the angle that I'm seeing it at, but John said it looks fine.
So I've never had a weird uterus, just a fibroid in a really weird place that grew to a hugeness that made me famous in the hospital (really, there were doctors who wanted to meet the girl that had the weirdness - it was odd). Just a fibroid that lost it's blood supply and made me feel bad and caused me problems.
I am thankful for a truly gifted surgeon. I knew he was good when another doctor recommended him, but I really do think his hands were guided to perform this little miracle for me. Even if I never get to be pregnant again - I am seriously grateful that I still have my parts. I'll have a follow-up with my surgeon in a couple of weeks and he'll make sure my cervix is healing properly. He is optimistic about my fertility future. I'm not so much thinking about that right now. I'm just trying to not hurt. Maybe in a few months . . .
So, I'm sitting at home. Yea!! I was a good patient who walked within 8 hours of her surgery, peed on her own within 24, tolerated solid food and pooped before she left the hospital. I'm drugged up, in a little bit of pain, but otherwise so happy to be home and focusing on actually recovering. Did you know that hospitals are not places to rest? They just want to poke and prod and take your temperature and blood pressure. It was nice to be taken care of so nicely, but I'm glad to be home.
Thank you for your prayers and your thoughts. I know how blessed I am.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You deserve this happy ending. What an amazing thing! Congratulations and good-bye forever to that rotten little fibroid!!! WHEW!!!!!!!!!! I feel relief for you.
That is wonderful news! Miracles still happen! Happy Healing!
Glad to hear things went well. Get well soon!
I am so relieved and happy for you! I have been worrying about you and wondering how it all turned out. Yeah! Thank you Father in Heaven for answered prayers!
Hey girl. I am glad you're home and doing fine. It just takes time to heal and a pillow held against your stomach works wonders if you have to sneeze, cough, or laugh. I hope you continue to heal properly. No sit-ups for you for awhile.
Aunt Jeana
Wow! It's nice to see miracles still exist! We are just jumping for joy over here.
Post a Comment