So, I'm looking for a job. Really. No, I really am.
That's what I keep telling myself as I search Craig's List and Monster.com. I have been out of the workforce for over 5 years and I am currently on the prowl for the perfect job. Here's my heavy list of requirements:
1. Part time. I have no desire to ever work full-time again. It would also help if my schedule was a relative match to Annie's school schedule (meaning summers off). I also have a husband with a rotating schedule, so there would need to be some flexibility every once in a while.
2. Fulfilling . . .sortof. I don't need to save lives or battle world peace issues, but it would be fun to make wedding cakes or deliver flowers or write funny stories about my child.
3. Staying home . . or somewhere near it. I would really like to work from home, or at least have the option to do so.
You notice I didn't say anything about pay scale. I am willing to do almost anything (no not that), as long as it fits within those parameters and pays decently. So far, I have come up with a couple of things - Medical transcription (I would need some training and certification) and being a school bus driver. I could also be a special-ed aide at the high school or middle school level, but with budget cuts - the jobs are few and far between.
I really am willing to do anything - I would deliver pizzas or work at a craft store if they would be willing to put up with my weird scheduling needs. Maybe I just need to start asking around.
If anyone hears of anything, I am looking for after Annie starts school in the fall. I'm getting my resume put together and trying to make it look like I've done something important for the five years I haven't been paid to work. It's emotionally draining to think that I am going to need to be an employee and a mother at the same time. How do people do this on a regular basis? I am in awe.
I'm trying not to make excuses anymore. This needs to happen. I want it to happen . . . kindof.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Steph, why dont you be a nanny? that way you get paid, you can still take care of Annie and the scheduling wont matter because usually parents will only need you while they are at work and possibly some evenings but you can opt to have the kids come to your home so you can still keep up with your family life, on top of that sell Avon or something that should be enough income betweent he two to be cozy. I have a girlfriend who makes her living off Avon and Mona-Vie juice. granted she has the time to push it and her husband makes killer money so what she makes is their "fun" money. but still she affords her BMW monthly and then some with never really having to leave home too often. just some thoughts. much love.
the Cousin.
I would love to deliver flowers. Wouldn't that be the funnest job ever? But, alas, my allergies would start up a revolt if locked in a van with flowers.
If you're looking for someone to run your resume by, I'm your gal. I look at them ALL DAY LONG and I know what makes for a good one.
I do medical transcription work from home. I like what I do although I don't make a lot of money. The market is going towards voice recognition, which will put me out of a job!! Good luck to you.
I love the "sort of" throughout this post. Hilarious!
I love working part time. I honestly feel that it keeps me sane! I feel that being a server is the best of both worlds! I get to stay at home all day with the kids, and at night I get to interact with the real world and I also love helping others. *That's what I feel like I am doing when I wait on them* But I know what you mean, the economy isn't the best right now for finding a job. So good luck out there! If I hear anything I'll let you know!
Post a Comment