Thursday, September 17, 2009

Not one person?

Not one person wants me to let my little girl experience the fun of dressing up in her mom's wedding gown?

I'm shocked!

I talked to Heidi yesterday and she was having heart palpitations when I told her that I really wanted to cut up my dress and let Annie wear it for Halloween.

I told her the list of reasons why it was appropriate . . .

1 - it's already yellowed, badly. I didn't spend any money to even clean it after our wedding, so it's dirty, too.

2 - I have beautiful, amazing, pictures of the day. I don't need the dress as a reminder of the amazing covenants I made.

3 - It is not a designer dress. My talented mother made it and fitted it to me. It was perfect for me, but it was made out of very inexpensive satin (I couldn't actually find the kind of satin that I wanted - so I just went cheap).

4 - I actually don't want my little girl to wear my wedding dress on her wedding day. I want her to have something that is all hers. I could save the buttons and the trim if she wanted something that was on my dress, but I want her to have exactly what she wants with no guilt on having something that's mine.

I actually knew someone whose mother let her dress up in her wedding dress - and she said it was really fun to do. I don't know if she cut it down, but she and her sisters remember that dress fondly. This is the year I could do it and she would still play dress up with it. I don't know if I would be able to do it any other time.

You guys are making me second guess this! You made some compelling arguments. I probably won't do it now - I'll hang it up next to our letterman's jackets and let it stew another 20 years or so.

Darn.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I might be the wrong person to ask, but my dress was made with silk, so I really really want to make garb out of it. The person against this the most was Drew. Mom didn't seem to keen on it either. It kinda was a moot point anyway, since our basement flooded and it got bits of mold on it. Though I'm thinking there might be enough useable silk to make a blessing outfit someday.

I'm with you. The memories and the pictures are still there. It's just fabric. I think it would be a great dress-up gown.

rachelsaysso said...

The idea of little girls dressed up as brides has always kind of creeped me out. So my initial reaction was no.

But you make some good points. If it's not sentimental to you, and it's already unwearable because of the yellowing then I say go for it.

Suzee said...

It's your dress/fabric! Have at it my friend!! I do like the idea of saving some of the bits to one day incorporate in to a dress for her.