Saturday, October 6, 2007

3 bathrooms with a 3-year-old in 30 minutes

When we moved into our pretty new house, I became the proud new owner of three full-sized bathrooms. Two upstairs, one downstairs. I love having three bathrooms - it is only annoying when I have to clean them. I don't like cleaning bathrooms - I don't get the great feeling that some people get when they clean things. It's not magical or even transformative . . . it's disgusting. But it's necessary, especially because you go into a bathroom to get clean. I realize the need for clean bathrooms, so I've devised a way to do it quickly - even with a 3-year-old who wants to "help." Yesterday, I cleaned all three bathrooms, with Annie, in under 30 minutes. I was pretty proud of myself.

How did I do it? I put Annie on counter duty with a wet washcloth while I did everything else. I've also realized that (except for the downstairs bathroom) it saves time when you group the jobs together. Instead of doing one bathroom from top to bottom and then moving on to the next bathroom, clear off all the counters, do all the bathtubs, then the toilets, then the countertops (that are already nicely wet because of Annie's excitement). End off with a hearty spray of Windex on all the mirrors and fixtures (it gives them a beautiful sheen). Done.

I never thought I would feel so proud of three clean bathrooms. It's the little things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

LOVED your musings on the new blog. Keep it up. I can appreciate where you're coming from in the fear of regressing in writing, but you're doing a GREAT job. Capturing the emotion in a thoughtful way-- you kept me reading!

Stephanie said...

Thank you! I'm really enjoying this. Now I just need to make people laugh! The humor is in me, I know it!