Monday, October 8, 2007

Goodbye to the Daniel Shirt

When we were in South Carolina, John was the 11-year-old scout leader at church. He never had more than two boys at a time, but he loved this calling. He took them camping, taught them nuclear physics, and basically endeared a generation of boys to him. Because of the new rules about never being alone in the same room with a scout (a good rule, by the way) - Annie and I were usually in the same room while all this was going on (except we weren't allowed to go camping with them - they had Dads for that). The last 11-year-old that we were involved with was Daniel. Daniel was - and probably still is - an amazing scout. He proudly wore his scout shirt and brought his book and always wanted to learn what John was teaching. Since he was always kind to our little girl, Annie adored Daniel. He would make her laugh and give her hugs and be a remarkably responsible young man with Annie. We loved him and had some fun experiences in scouting.

So we move to Arizona and I get called to be a cub scout leader. I love this calling and get really into it. I bought a shirt and put all the leader patches on it, and every Wednesday night I wear it proudly while I recite the cub scout promise and the pledge of allegiance. I love these 8-year-old boys - but the thing I love the most is when I put my shirt on my daughter calls me "Daniel." She calls it my "Daniel Shirt" and that we're going to "Daniel Scouts," but she also really calls me "Daniel." For example - "Daniel, we need to have supper." and "What are you doing, Daniel?" She calls me "Daniel" until I come home from scouts and take the shirt off. I then become plain old "Mommy" again - without even a nod that I was anyone else.

A couple weeks ago, I was released from cub scouts and put into the young women program. I now am the leader of the 12 and 13 year old girls. I don't have to come up with skits every month or do the funny claps (Who wants a 'round' of applause?). I traded sweaty boys for beautiful sweet-smelling girls. I really like my new calling and I'm beginning to get to know the girls better every time I'm with them - but the one thing that I really hate about being released? I won't ever get to wear my "Daniel Shirt". It makes me kindof sad to think that she'll forget about Daniel. I love that she remembers him when she sees me in the shirt. I love that I remember South Carolina and the good people that were there. I really want her to remember that she was born in a wonderful environment - that there were people there that were as close as family.

So maybe I'll put on the "Daniel shirt" every once in a while and show her pictures of the actual Daniel. Maybe she'll remember a good memory - in the only way a three-year-old can really remember - symbolically in a shirt.

No comments: